Monday

Meeting Capsaicia

Strange things happen to writers. Who knew that the act of writing a memoir could invoke new experiences and memories that would become part of the memoir? Until I began writing the first chapter, Unlocking the Chilehead Code, I knew nothing of the Goddess Capsaicia. Then I began writing about the suspicions I’ve heard that chileheads belong to some cult. I know nothing of such a cult, but as I imagined what it might be like, this goddess emerged from the mists of archetypal memory (or something like that) and introduced herself. This didn’t happen all at once, and she’s never spoken that I’m aware of. She remains a remotely shimmering image.

As you’ll read in the book, talking about Capsaicia to others generates odd conversations and strange discoveries. I had no idea one friend is a shaman. The shamans’ code requires that identity be kept secret unless the shaman choses to personally divulge it. This shaman friend conjured up a vision of Capsaicia that simply took my breath away. How could I not include that in the book?

Which has led to interesting chats with memoir writing pals about what belongs in memoir – should it be limited to old memories that we dredge up and process, or can it be a work in progress, written on the spot? The only rules for memoir are that it be as valid and true as we can make it. We’re supposed to stick to facts and report events and experiences as accurately as we can, through the lens of our perceptions and memories.

So, meeting Capsaicia and getting to know this mythical entity is a legitimate adventure, though I’ll leave it to you to determine what kind. The shaman’s input was real. So were my conclusions at the end of the book.

I invite you to read and judge for yourself. In my opinion, Capsaicia is lots of fun. I’d like to know her better. Based on the experience in the super market that I relate at the end of the book, I’m sure I shall. I’ll keep you posted.

BTW, if anyone’s good at doodling and feels inspired to capture her likeness, I’d be honored to showcase your artwork. Please leave a comment with your thoughts about her. Has you glimpsed her in your distance?

No comments :

Post a Comment